Have you tried one? Apparently they’re all the rage right now — smoothies and juices bursting with fresh veggie nutrition (usually spinach or kale). While I can’t bring myself to pay $8 for one at these cute little bistros, I loved the idea of packing as much superfood nutrition into one cup as possible! So I tried it. And got addicted. They’re delicious, I promise. I usually make one for an afternoon snack or after a long run or tough workout.
Here is my basic go-to recipe…but you can pretty much toss in any smoothie-type ingredients you have around. Stay tuned for more variations on this smoothie!
- 2-3 cups fresh spinach, kale, or a mixture of both
- 1 ripe banana (fresh or frozen)
- ~1 cup milk (I usually use un-/sweetened vanilla almond or soy milk)
- 1 tbs flaxseed, chia seeds, or a mixture of both
- 1 scoop vanilla whey protein (optional, but this makes it really creamy)
- Ice cubes
Toss everything in the blender, spinach first. Blend until it reaches desired texture, and enjoy. See? You can’t even taste the spinach! No extra sweetener necessary. Feel the health!