Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone! For me, the best part about this weekend is that it signifies the beginning of summer.
And one of the many wonderful things about summer is the produce at farmer’s markets. Here’s the colorful armful with which I left my neighborhood farmer’s market this morning:
Of course, the fun part was coming up with ways to use the veggies! My solution — wrapping vegetables in vegetables and making it delicious. 🙂
- 1-2 leaves swiss or rainbow chard, washed
- your choice of chopped, washed veggies (I used 1 zucchini, 2 carrots, 1/4 cup chopped onion, and 1 red bell pepper)
- 2 tbs mayonnaise or non-dairy mayo
- 1 tbs dijon mustard, or to taste
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried onion flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine the mayo, mustard, garlic, onion flakes, salt and pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Cut the chard into strips. At the point on the leaf when the stem gets too big, discard it and use the leaves around it.
Chop the veggies into strips.
Spread the garlic mayo on a chard leave, and pile up with about 1/4 cup chopped veggies arranged vertically.
Wrap up the chard leave, and enjoy!
You could also add a little olive oil or lemon juice to the mayo spread, to make it more liquidy, and use it as a dip!
Can you tell that they were really fun to take pictures of? 😉