So, I really love salads. And not those wimpy barely-nutritious-colorless-leaves-dripping-in-some-boring-dressing salads you choke down because you feel obligated to. I’m talkin’ fresh, colorful, satisfying and sustaining, veggie dishes boasting lots of exciting flavors and textures.
For the record, there are LOTS of non-salad foods that we vegetarians eat.🙂 I understand that a vegetarian eating salads is a little cliche.
Anyway, I hope you like this one. I make this or a version of this at least a couple times a week for lunch. Kale is unique in that you can dress it in the morning or the night before, and it’s still crispy for lunch much later!
Also, feel free to change up the veggies according to what you have on hand.
Serves one as an entree, or two as a side
- 3-4 cups fresh kale, washed and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 ripe avocado, chopped
- 1 tbs diced red onion
- 2 tbs dried cranberries
- 2-3 tbs parmesan cheese (omit for a vegan option. Goat cheese, sharp white cheddar, or feta would work well too)
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs dijon mustard (either smooth ground or whole grain)
- lots of freshly milled black pepper
Chop up the veggies. Mix them in a large bowl with the cranberries and cheese. Toss in the dressing ingredients (olive oil, lemon juice, and mustard). Top with black pepper. You could also mix the dressing ingredients separately, but I’m usually a little too lazy to do that…