I hope everybody had a lovely Christmas and New Year’s. Here’s a comforting, healthy, and flavorful soup perfect for these post-holiday relaxing days.
This humble little soup is amazingly delicious…I sent it with my husband for lunch one day, and the first thing he said when he got home was ‘That was the best soup ever!’ Quite a testament. 🙂
Ser ves 3-4
- 2 small heads broccoli, chopped
- 2 medium russet potatoes, chopped
- 2 leeks (chopped, white parts only) and 1/2 shallot, chopped (or 2/3 cup chopped onion)
- 1 tbs oil
- 3 cups water or broth
- salt or a seasoning mix like Herbamare (omit or use sparingly if you use broth)
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a medium pot on medium-high, heat the oil and sauté the onions (or leeks and shallots) until soft. Add the potatoes and broccoli and cook for another couple minutes. Then add the water or stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Puree the soup in a blender. Season to taste.
I served this with my favorite spelt flax crackers for a light meal, or with a protein for a heartier one.